opening external URL's in new tabs?

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Wed Mar 15 20:00:06 GMT 2006

Is there a way to make URL's clicked in Kmail (for example) to open in a new
tab i existing Konqueror-window? I did find the "Open as tab in existing
Konqueror when URL is called externally" that SHOULD logically do that. But
it doesn't. Reason being that if that checkbox is checked, the system will
check just the current desktop for running Konqueror. If none is found, it
will open a new window and load the URL there.

Why is that a problem? Well, I have configured my desktop in such way that I
have Kmail running on Desktop 1 in full-screen, and I have Desktop 2
dedicated for Konqueror and other apps. I have also window-specific settings
which tell the system to load Kmail on desktop 1, and load all
Konqueror-sessions in Desktop 2. If I click on a URL in Kmail, I would like
the constantly running Konqueror-window on Desktop 2 to load the URL, but
that does not happen. What happens is that the system loads a new
Konqueror-window (which then appears on Desktop 2, next to the old
Konqueror-window), and loads the URL there. Is there any way to change this
behavior?