KDE 3.5.1 Befuddlement

Jeff Dooley jfd5xte at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 16:50:49 GMT 2006

Thanks for changing to plain text format (my eyes thank you as well).
Please note that I am now CC'ing this to the list again.

On 3/14/06, jjdevine <jjdevine at adelphia.net> wrote:
[snip]
> An indication that the usual mode of sending is HTML vs text is that when I
> open your email message a white column on my yellow page appears on the left
> side saying; "NOT IN HTML". That to me indicates that some programmer(s) in
> the KDE organization believe that HTML is more common than text.

Hmmm.... that's interesting. It's been a VERY long time since I used kmail.

> Curiously I have noted on some instruction for mailing into lists that text
> be used!

Yes, I believe this is true.

[snip]

> Curiosity as with my Cat (Animalia Chordata Mammalia Carnivora Felidae
> Felinae Silvestrus Catus Domesticus) made me wonder if I had a "KDE" folder
> or "KDE3.5.1" in my Home folder into which I may have installed it. There is
> no longer a "KDE" folder but there is a "KDE3.5.1"! So it is to some extent
> installed! Yet the "About KDE" button of "Help" says I'm running "KDE3.4.2".

One thing I observed in your previous emails was that it appeared you
might have created your new user (kdedev, or whatever the name) AFTER
you used Konstruct to compile the sources. What you need to be sure of
is that the new user does the compilation. (and if it is ONLY going to
be this user using the new version, it might make sense to have the
kde-3.5.1 tree in the /home directory of that user). After the new
user has compiled the sources, you need to make sure the user has the
environment variables set to the right values. You might want to check
out your .bashrc, .bash_profile, .profile to see if they are setting
the $KDEDIRS, $KDEDIR, $QTDIR, and $KDEHOME environment variables.
Make sure they're pointing to the right place. If they havn't already
been set by your system, then you need to set them with one of those
files (.bash_profile, I believe... but you can check this by issuing a
"echo $ENV-VAR" after you've logged in with your new user). Lastly,
(and this may depend upon how you start X-- either from the console
prompt, or from KDM) you may need to create or modify your .xinitrc
file so that the startkde script is called from your new kde-3.5.1
directory.

> So I may be running "KDE3.5.1" or part of it! One of the library modules in
> that folder has the copyright date of 2005 so it must be "3.5.1".

You may have the folder, but you may not have told the system to load
any software from that folder.

-jeff

[snip]