KDE 3.5.1 Befuddlement

Jeff Dooley jfd5xte at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 23:16:33 GMT 2006

On 3/9/06, jjdevine <jjdevine at adelphia.net> wrote:
[snip]
> Below is what I get when I try and install.
> "jjdevine at 69-175-202-50:~> cd ~/konstruct/meta/everything; make install
[snip]

> checking for gcc... cc
>
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> compiler cannot create executables
>
> See `config.log' for more details.
[snip]

Could you post the contents of your config.log? IIRC, it should be in the:
konstruct/misc/pkg-config
I'm not at home right now, and I can't double check this.

> I did get KDE 3.5 installed. It took 4 hours (I'm 2.3 GHz)! I liked it for
> the brief time it ran. After shutting down, actual off, for the night the
> monitor would not come on the next day! I read about the reason and deleted
> many of the suspect "tmp" files after I did an reinstall of my SUSE Linux
> 10.1.

Hmmm.... I am assuming you added all of the relevant development
packages listed in:
http://www.kde.org/info/requirements/3.5.php

> Now I'm setting up to run KDE 3.5.1 as another user logged in.

I am assuming you have read the following guidelines:
http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/buildstep.php#step2

-jf