unmount usb mounted device

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Jun 26 21:28:55 BST 2006

Am Montag, 26. Juni 2006 08:06 schrieb Martin (KDE):
> Hallo,
>
> I have discovered a realy strange thing this weekend. If I plug in
> a usb stick, a usb-stick symbol pops up at my desktop. With the
> latest dbus/hal stuff there is no entry in the fstab (that is ok
> afaik). I can mount this usb device with no problem.
>
> If I want to unmount this device I get no error message. There is
> something going on (the cpu load is high for about three seconds)
> but nothing happens. The usb devise keep being mounted. I have to
> login as root to unmount the device.
>
> With the older hal versions there was a tool to update the fstab
> (fstab-sync), but this tool is remove in current versions. Am I
> missing something fundamental?
>
> KDE 3.5.3 (from cvs from last friday)
> hal 0.5.7
> dbus 0.62
> udev 0.94
> Kernel 2.6.16.20

I reply to my own post. I have done some further investigations. The
Results:

I have found the program standing behind the mount/unmount/safely
remove menue entries and tested this program.

kio_media_mounthelper /dev/sda2 works as expected and mounts my
device.

kio_media_mounthelper -u /dev/sda2 works as expected too. It unmounts
my device

kio_media_mounthelper -s /dev/sda2 does not make anything to a mounted
device (at least nothing I can see)

kio_media_mounthelper -e /dev/sda2 has the same efect as the -s one.

btw: eject /dev/sda as root unmounts my usb-stick and removes the icon
from the desktop (and the media list). The same command with my IPod
only unmount the device.

So I am a little step further, but not at the end.

> Martin

Martin