How to prevent starting KDE on :0.1?

Rene Mayrhofer rene at mayrhofer.eu.org
Thu Jun 15 22:27:53 BST 2006

Hi all,

[Please CC me in replies, I am not subscribed to this list.]

I am trying to fix a problem that has been bugging me for about a year now:
when using my laptop to give presentations, I want KDE on the primary
display :0.0, and use a second independent display :0.1 for driving the
projector. However, KDE keeps starting a second instance of kwin, kdesktop,
kicker, etc. This is independent of the start method, it happens both when
logging in via kdm and when starting from the command line with "startx".
What I found so far is that ksmserver seems to be one of the last processes
where I only get a single instances, and that the next processes appear
twice.

How do I prevent that second instance from starting? Any hints on where to
change the configuration would be greatly appreciated.

[I tried the IRC channel and only found somebody with the same question :) ]

Thanks,
Rene