UTF8 encoding

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 9 07:18:17 BST 2006

KDE wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I am currently changing from iso latin 1 encoding to utf8 and dicovered
> some problems. No KDE application I found so far is able to
> automatically select the right encoding of a file (content or filename
> itself) or directory. In Kate/kwrite I can change the encoding by hand.
> I kedit I have not found any encoding selection.
>
> Can I (if yes how) set the kde programs to autodetect the encoding (like
> vim and emacs) at least for the content (I usually do not use umlauts in
> flienames)?

You can't auto detect an UTF-8 file if it only contains Latin 1 glyphs
because the first page of Unicode is Latin 1.

IIUC, KDE will use your system settings for UTF-8 (at least it works on
my system).  You need to have the system set:

	LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
	LANG=en_US.UTF-8
	LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8

substituting your language code for mine (en_US).  If your system
supports "profile.d" scripts, just add this script:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=$LANG
LC_ALL=$LANG

export LC_ALL LANGUAGE LANG

Otherwise, add the same stuff in "/etc/profile", and restart your X session.

--
JRT