Kmail and spam filtering

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Fri Jul 28 00:14:57 BST 2006

On Friday 28 July 2006 00.05, Nigel Henry wrote:
> Hi Thierry.  I've got Bogofilter 1.0.2 working ok. It's separating the
> Spam, and the Ham ok, although I've had a few problems setting it up. There
> appear to be quite a few changes in 1.0.2 from the version you're using.
(...)
> Also I havn't figured out how to get mail that bogofilter is "Unsure" about
> set up.  Adding a third line to "Filter Criteria" for "Unsure", and then
> applying, just results in the line being greyed out.  Apart from that, I'm
> getting very good results from bogofilter. No false negatives, and only 2
> false positives up to now.
>
> Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for all those information. I'm compiling a new Gentoo installation just
now (though I should actually go to bed...). I'll see what version of
Bogofilter I get and fiddle with those settings.

I have to think about "unsure" - it does not make a lot of sense to me, as
"unsure" has to be checked so it belongs in "normal" mail.

What do you call "false positives"? To me, false positives would be "ham"
sorted out as "spam"

False negatives (spam sorted out as ham) cannot be prevented, they usually use
"new" spam solutions. What I can't accept are correct mails that are
considered to be spam - because that means that if my spam goes directly to
he trash I'll loose mails. I agree that people shoud *not* send html mails,
be I have friends you won't bring to understand this, and probably you have
too...

My version of bogofilter misses most html mails, so I had to set-up further
kmail filters to catch these, but I put them in a special directory and check
them because many would be "false positives".

Anyway, I prefer a solution of "no provider filtering" + local Bogofilter as
that solution is both reliable and under my control.

Thierry

--
Le monde est fait d'imbéciles
Qui se battent contre des demeurés