usb disk icon not showing at startup

R. Daneel Olivaw rdaneel.olivaw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 06:42:08 BST 2006

Hi there,

> KDE uses the ever complex hal-dbus combo to monitor *changes* on you
> system, such as plugging in USB drives. I the drive is plugged in at
> boot, than KDE will not see this as a change. As such, don't think it
> will place an icon on your desktop.

As already pointed out, I am aware that this is 'just' an
initialization issue. That's why I was asking. Now I know it is one, I
wonder if this is seen as a 'feature' or a 'bug' ;)

> All that aside, why don't you just make a link to it with any icon
> you would like?

I don't see the point, as soon as the device will get mounted, the real
icons will fill the desktop anyway. The real issue is not with
removable devices (as CD ROMS) as you usually don't want to mount those
unless you have put something in them (even if it could be nice to ask
the tray to open from the desktop) but for devices like my external usb
mass storage device.
Not that it would be complex to put an icon, my solution would have
been to add a permanent entry in /etc/fstab. I however rememeber this
solution may break the auto-mounting thing, in principle and in
practice.
I switched to KDE because of usability (I confess, I am a Gnome fan),
and because things were 'easy', so my gf could use it.
Again, there is no problem with it, it's just of no use to set a rule
(removable devices appear on the desktop) and to break it (sometimes
they do not show, for instance, when you log in your session).

Now, well, if there is no solution, I'll live with it, there are many
other features (and many other bugs ;p).

If someone happens to find a smooth solution, let us know :)

Read you soon,

R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Human Robot Inside.