usb disk icon not showing at startup

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 12:53:51 BST 2006

KDE uses the ever complex hal-dbus combo to monitor *changes* on you system,
such as plugging in USB drives. I the drive is plugged in at boot, than KDE
will not see this as a change. As such, don't think it will place an icon on
your desktop.

All that aside, why don't you just make a link to it with any icon you would
like?

On 7/19/06, Clinton E. Troutman <clint.troutman at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 July 2006 01:06, you wrote:
> > This seems to be exactly the same behaviour.
> > Now, it would be interexting to know if this issue is only fc5 related.
>
> Well, I don't currently have an FC4 box with KDE installed on it...
>
> As I remember, I noticed this behavior when I installed FC5 with KDE on
> a "new" box.
>
> Unfortunately, I downgraded the old FC4 box to remote terminal use only
> and,
> in the process, wiped the disk and installed FC4 fresh without KDE (I was
> going to install FC5 on that box but the box is too old).
>
> Point is, I can't verify my memory at this point...
> I am, however, 95 percent certain of my memory...
>
> It will be interesting to see where this thread takes us.
>
> --
> Clinton E. Troutman

Burn's Hog Weighing Method:
        (1) Get a perfectly symmetrical plank and balance it across a
sawhorse.
        (2) Put the hog on one end of the plank.
        (3) Pile rocks on the other end until the plank is again perfectly
            balanced.
        (4) Carefully guess the weight of the rocks.
                -- Robert Burns