transparency and slide show very slow

Andy Goldschmidt andy at forlinux.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 09:02:20 BST 2006

Hi guys

I'm running KDE 3.5 on Ubuntu (Dapper).
I have transparency turned on because it looks nice. On my Pc when I
have set the background to slide show and added a whole bunch of my own
pics. When the background changes, my pc slows down. If I chnage to
another desktop (I have 6 of them) it lags for a few seconds. The
background changes immediately, but the backgound in my terminals takes
a few seconds to update to the new screen background.

When I change to desktop 1 (with firefox and evolution open), firefox
takes ages to respond, it jus sits there greyed out for a good 10 - 15
seconds.

Ive got a pentium 4 2Ghz with 1 gig ram. Onboard video (dell pc)

any ideas why the background change is hurting my pc soo much ?

I used to use Mandriva with older KDE and the background change always
worked 100 %.

Regards
Andy

believed to be clean.