file sorting in konqi?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Jul 2 14:57:31 BST 2006

Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> Hi :-)
>
> I'm using a UTF-8 locale in KDE. When sorting files in Konqi (and BTW its the
> same in Konsole using "ls") the underline char is ignored. So I have a sorted
> file list like "AA, _B, CC, _D, EE" but I want that sorting works like "_B,
> _C, AA, CC, EE" or "AA, CC, EE, _B, _C".
>
> Any ideas how to fix the wrong default sorting?

How did you set UTF-8?  Normally you would use something like:

	en_US.UTF-8

for your locale.

I don't know if what you describe is the proper UTF-8 collation order or
not, but you can choose your collation order independent of your language.

IAC, try setting either:

	LC_COLLATE	which will change only the collation order.
or
	LC_ALL		which will change everything except language.

to you locale/language without the: ".UTF-*".  For example:

	LC_ALL=en_US

On my system this is set in: "/etc/profile.d/*lang.sh" but a distro may
set it up differently.  Some times there is an issue with the order that
the 'profile.d' scripts are executed and you might need to rename:
"lang.sh" to "Alang.sh" so that it is executed/sourced first.

You will have to restart your KDE session for this to take effect in
KDE, and reboot your system for it to take effect at the console.

Google is your friend.  Here is more than you probably want to know
about this:

http://www.opengroup.org/pubs/online/7908799/xbd/locale.html

--
JRT