More on Konq and java and some firewall info

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jan 15 21:15:07 GMT 2006

Hi
If type exactly what in the konq box in Konsole I get java usage displayed.
If I add -showversion I also get:

john at linux:~> /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin/java -showversion
java version "1.5.0_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_05-b05, mixed mode, sharing)
etc

I found an rpm for mozilla and that installs without error unlike the official
web site version. All java including the samlearning.com are ok with that but
I have no idea where moz gets it's java from. Samlearning has some demo pages
available by the way. All in all I would rather Konq worked correctly.

On the firewall. I've allways been appalled by the interface to the linux
firewall. Like most people I lack the knowledge to set it up as I would like.
While looking for a moz rpm I came across guarddog. I installed a suse 9.0
rpm ignoring it's need for a legacy nvidia lib and it work fine - It's an
excellent piece of work. The same suse9.0 rpm should work on any kde 3.x
installation.

Regards
John