[kde] KDE Themes - Installation - Too complex.

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 09:21:35 GMT 2006

roach wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 January 2006 14:22, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> <...>
>> The main point is that in KDE, much as in any other open source
>> project, the person who does the work makes the decision, and since the
>> whole procedure is open, you have the power to make changes to improve
>> things where you find problems (scratching your itch).
>
> Since when do we have "the power". The maintainer has all the power and
> this isn't the first time I've seen a maintainer deny a perfectly valid
> bug. Once that happens there is nothing we can do.

If you take "the power" to mean "the power to make the developer do whatever
you want", then of course, you don't have the power. If you take it to mean
"the power to get involved and help improve things", we're nearer the
truth.

> Documenting the problem on the Net only helps those with Net access and
> does nothing towards closing/solving that bug.

Well, in this particular instance, only those with Net access can get new
themes, so that's moot.

But perhaps I should have been more clear that the two solutions I suggested
in my original post are orthogonal: one is a way to solve the problem
(acknowledged by the developer) for the next version of KDE, whereas the
other is a workaround to mitigate the problem until then.

Regards,
Philip