From a rookie

Francisco Quntero frankvgf at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 16:36:20 GMT 2006

  My best wishes to you all.

  I am studying programming and I am marveled at the things you people can do with C++ , which my professors say is the foundation for the whole Linux development.
  I have been following this list fr a couple of weeks and I feel much too humble with my folllowing request for help.
  I am sure my doubts and confusion will seem trivial to you guys, for which I ask you to forgive me.

  We need to know the relations among standard libraries, particularly to handling the screen and general I/O, in terms of
     - Dependency - Parallelism - Conflict - or persona preference;
     ... among the following:

  Curses
   X  lib.
  QT
  KDE
  Gnome

  I am one of a group of students who must develop a fairly large, college project (Registartion, courses, grades, students general control; and so on) and it must be 1005 portable among Linux platforms; and preferably also to MS-Windows (Sorry for my language).

  We already know this is probably already available in  the Free Software community, but our goal is precisely to do this ourselves, as a pre-thesis project.

  Key Words are:
  Portable
  Free
  Efficient: Fast and small in terms of resources demanded.

  Is it possible to have the very same application running on various clients, over Gnome, KDE, QT, Unix Curses and plain X-lib; just by recompiling the same source code, "infested" with a ziollion IFDEF´s ?

  Please refer us to any source of doc, English or Spanish ...

  Thanks a lot.

  Frank.
  Cabimas, Venezuela