KMail data

Bob Hutchinson hutchlists at midwales.com
Tue Jan 3 23:45:35 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 03 Jan 2006 20:39, jeff grant wrote:
> On Sunday 18 December 2005 17:17, Bob Hutchinson wrote:
> > On Sunday 18 Dec 2005 15:13, jeff grant wrote:
> > > Can anybody tell me how to simply and effectively transfer Kmail data
> > > from one computer to another? I work on two separate computers in two
> > > separate locations and need to do this on a day to day basis. I've
> > > found that by copying my Apps and Config folders via a USB flashdisk
> > > from one machine to the other, all my Kontact data - calendar,
> > > contacts, journals etc. go across perfectly - apart from Kmail data -
> > > messages etc. Which to put it mildly, is something of a drawback. Any
> > > help would be greatly appreciated. And if you didn't already guess, I'm
> > > new to Linux.
> >
> > my kmail stuff is in
> >
> > ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
> > ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail
> > ~/Mail
>
> Thanks for that Bob. I've no problem in identifying the mail folders -
> they're almost the same as yours. What I cannot do however is copy those
> mail folders to a removable disk.

Sounds like a permissions problem.
You might need to go into the removable drive as root and create a dir and
make it belong to your user account with the chown command, then as the user
attempt to copy a test file into the new dir.

If that works get to grips with rsync, which will vastly speed up the process,
it only copies the differences over.

Alternately do the whole job as root, and get it scripted so you just run that

HTH