Russian keyboard Control+ and Alternate+ key combination problem

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 10:50:51 GMT 2006

When you press ctl-whatever, a signal is send to the keyboard controller. This
signal is independent of the keyboard being used, it is purely a matter of
hardware.  Once this hardware signal reaches the keyboard controller chip
within the computer, it is interpreted into signals according to a preloaded
keymap.  This could be an English keymap, or Russian, or whatever.

The keymaps for an X display are kept in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols.
As always in *n*x systems, these files are plain text and can be modified. I
have used this editing facility to extend the standard French keyboard that I
usually use with extra accented letters.

I have had a look at the Russian keyboard, /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/ru, and I see
how it works, but I am not sufficiently experienced to recommend how to
modify the mapping to produce the results you want.  For the moment, I would
suggest that you use the keycombo such as shift-R+shift-L to momentarily swap
to a Latin keyboard, press Ctrl-whatever and then return.

You may need to contact people with direct X experience for further details.
This is not specifically a KDE problem, but an X server problem. I am sure
that the problem has been solved already.  A Russian language mailing list
should dig up the required info.

Hope this helps

Basil Fowler