Downgrading KDE

Bram Schoenmakers bramschoenmakers at kde.nl
Wed Feb 22 18:00:07 GMT 2006

Op woensdag 22 februari 2006 13:45, schreef John:

Hi,

> I have a vague recollection of seeing something about running more than one
> version of kde on the same machine but can't remember where. A search on
> kde.org or google might bring something up. Or maybe this might jog
> somebodies memory?
> Regards
> John

I don't know of the article, but I currently I run two different KDE versions
next to each other (3.4 for daily usage and 3.5 as a testing platform for
crazy experiments).

This is how I did it:

1) Retrieve the sources of KDE which you would like to install
2) Install all packages in a *different* prefix than the one chosen by your
distro (take for example /usr/local/kde as prefix)
3) Create a new user
4) For this user, create a file ~/.xinitrc which contains the following line:

/usr/local/kde/bin/startkde

5) In ~/.bashrc, set these environment settings:

export KDEDIRS=/usr/kde/head
export PATH=/usr/kde/head/bin:$PATH

Done. Now you can login as this user and run 'the other' KDE.

Note: In case you need to install a different Qt version, install this in a
different prefix as well (for example /usr/local/qt). For the new user, you
should also set the enviroment variable:

export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt

Kind regards,

--
Bram Schoenmakers
KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
  (Punch, 1855)