saving contents of applications with a frozen kde desktop

Sebastian Reitenbach itlistuser at rapideye.de
Wed Feb 22 10:14:18 GMT 2006

Hi again,

The dcop interface looked interesting first, but this only works for kde
applications aware of dcop. As the dcop interface is easy to use I was able to
send messages to e.g. kate and to tell it to close a given document. I have
not found a save method that I can send to kate. unfortunately a popupwindow,
warning me that the file was modified and if I want to save them prior
closing. With a frozen desktop a bit useless. So I do believe this is the
wrong way to go.

Anybody has an other idea how to save the work of open (non KDE) applications
in a frozen KDE desktop?

Kind regards
Sebastian

kde at mail.kde.org,Sebastian Reitenbach <itlistuser at rapideye.de> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>

> > I can't comment on the "detach/reattach" goal. But I can point to a hint
> > that might help with the "save the contents of running apps" goal that
> > you stated in the subject of your message.
> >
> > The following article (only available in PDF, as far as I know, sorry)
> > is an excerpt from the Oreilly book entitled "Linux Desktop Hacks":
> >
> > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdeskhks/chapter/hack40.pdf
> >

> thanks for this hint, looks interesting, just printed it out for reading.
Now
> I only need to find the time for reading and trying...
>
> I'll let you know how far I'll get.
>
> kind regards
> Sebastian

Sebastian Reitenbach            Tel.: ++49-(0)3381-8904-305
RapidEye AG                     Fax: ++49-(0)3381-8904-101
Friedrich-Franz-Str. 19         e-mail:reitenbach at rapideye.de
D-14770 Brandenburg             web:http://www.rapideye.de