saving contents of applications with a frozen kde desktop

Robert Morrison orbert at orbert.net
Tue Feb 21 16:36:46 GMT 2006

Hi Sebastian:

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 08:47, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> assume a, for whatever reason, frozen KDE desktop. The mouse arrow is still
> moving, but not changing anymore when over an icon, whereever clicking leads
> to no result. The only solution to work again will be the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
> key combination to get to work again.
>
> Is there a way to login to the machine via SSH or at the console and to tell
> some programs, e.g. openoffice to detach from the KDE gui, so that I can
> restart the KDE gui, log in again, then I have to find the process waiting
> in
> the background and tell it to attach to the new KDE gui? This would help me
> keep

(Was part of your message was cut off?)

I can't comment on the "detach/reattach" goal. But I can point to a hint
that might help with the "save the contents of running apps" goal that
you stated in the subject of your message.

The following article (only available in PDF, as far as I know, sorry)
is an excerpt from the Oreilly book entitled "Linux Desktop Hacks":

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdeskhks/chapter/hack40.pdf

The article is entitled "Create Your Own KDE Right-Click Menu Actions,"
but it has an interesting section near the end that describes how to
use dcop from the command line to (a) obtain a handle to a dcop process
and (b) send commands to that process. For example, the following
commands find the handle of the last instance of kwrite that was
started, and then insert some text into that instance of kwrite.

kwid=`dcop | grep kwrite | sort | tail -n 1`
echo $kwid
dcop $kwid EditInterface#1 insertText 0 0 '#!/bin/bash'
dcop $kwid EditInterface#1 insertLine 1 ''
dcop $kwid EditInterface#1 insertLine 2 ''
dcop $kwid ViewCursorInterface#1-1 setCursorPosition 2 0

You might be able to adapt this to find all your running apps and
tell them to save their open documents before you restart X.

If you look into this further, I'd love to hear what you find. I have
experienced X lockups too, and they hurt. I'd also love to be able to
do what you describe (whether it's the "save documents" or the
"detach/reattach" approach).

> The functionality may be comparable to the screen utility for text based
> logins.
>
> Does sth. like this exist, and if so, how do I make use of it?
>
> kind regards
> Sebastian

Best regards,
Robert