kde] Kmail

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 14:23:20 GMT 2006

Thanks Nigel
I didn't save the capture so I have done another one. Looks like it's a
general KDE or Linux thing. The router has an adsl modem built in so I assume
the arp transmissions are just to check what's connected to it.
I have run ethereal first thing after a reboot before anything else has run.
The captures then just show the arp transmission. This time I had been using
the web so the dns queries after them are different.

Note the korean whois. It's something we could all do from time to time to
help make the web a better place. There has been a number of spam emails
about recently that ask for ebay or bank details usually claiming a server
upgrade or something. They stick a gif over the link to a spoof web site.
Sometimes the gif is a link to the correct one on a legitimate web site. I
forward them marked Fraud to abuse@<their  isp>. A search for <country whois>
sometimes helps there when the usual whois services don't give full
information.
May seem pointless to some but the ebay one caught a lot of people out.

Regards
John

--
Suse 10.0