Missing option in KControl

Q raid517 at ukonline.co.uk
Sun Dec 17 21:17:07 GMT 2006

Hi I have just had the most awful, tedious and time consuming experience
when attempting to select the default system wide audio device for my
laptop computer.

I have a laptop with an Intel HDA onboard Audio chip and also on board
Harman/Kardon - and I also have an Audigy 2 ZS PCMICIA card.

In Gnome gnome-sound-properties it is as simple as selecting the default
system wide Audio device via a simple applet and drop down menu. Windows
XP also has a similar facility in it's control panel. However this seems
to somehow have been omitted from KDE, thereby necessitating that the
user must hack through what in many cases may seem like several very
obscure configuration files.

Ideally there should be a similar facility in KDE control as there is in
gnome-sound-properties and Windows XP control panel - but which also
allows you to select certain features of your card. (For example in my
case I would like my Audigy PCMCIA card to still use the onboard speakers).

Is it likely that any such facility will be provided in the foreseeable
future?