KMail 1.9.1 Flaws

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 25 18:10:05 BST 2006

I just got around to upgrading my office system to SuSE Linux 10.1
and ran into a problem with KMail 1.9.1.  It is seriously flawed.

I use multiple systems.  Although I have several laptops, most of the
systems that I use are servers or desktop systems.  I have SuSE Linux
running on most of them.  In this environment, I want all sent mail
and drafts stored on the IMAP server along with all of the folders
where I store mail.  I don't want anything stored on the system that
I happen to be using at the moment.

While there were some issues with KMail 1.8.x, it did behave as I
would expect an IMAP client to work.  With KMail 1.9.1, however,
there seems to have been a shift in perspective from an IMAP client
accessing mail on a central server to a POP3 client where all mail
and folders are maintained on the client.

The KMail configuration options no longer allow me to specify where
my mail folders are located, i.e. <IMAP_server>/~mcc/Mail.  I can't
change the properties of "sent-mail" and specify that messages that I
send are to be stored in <IMAP_server/~mcc/Mail/sentmail or change
the properties of "drafts" to store mail that I'm composing in
<IMAP_server/~mcc/Mail/postponed.

Yes, I do have systems that do not have KDE or KMail.  On those I use
Pine.  In my environment it is critical that everything be stored on
a central server.

Now, the big question:  What changes can be made to kmailrc to
restore the KMail 1.8.x behavour or do I have to switch to yet
another user mail agent?

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net