Kmail and gpg

Peter Stoddard peter at stoddard.name
Wed Aug 23 17:51:01 BST 2006

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 11:25 pm, Bob Richards wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am using kmail 1.9.1 under KDE 3.5.1 on Freebsd 6.1 with
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.2.2
>
> When I receive a gpg signed message for which I don't have the key on my
> keyring, kmail flags it as "No public key available" When I manually check
> for the key on pgp.mit.edu, I find it, and if I manually import that key
> into my keyring, kmail is happy.

On my Sarge system (KMail 1.7.2/KDE 3.3.2) and gpg 1.4.1, I have an entry in
the ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf:

#  auto-key-retrieve = automatically fetch keys as needed from the keyserver
#                     when verifying signatures or when importing keys that
#                     have been revoked by a revocation key that is not
#                     present on the keyring.
keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve verbose

Auto-retrieval works fine for me, and I think that entry in the gpg.conf file
does it.  Of course as Philip says you need to specify a keyserver in the
same file.  Mine reads:

keyserver x-hkp://subkeys.pgp.net

Beware though, I now have 1300 keys and counting.

Pete
--
Peter Stoddard - GnuPG 4A1F5DA0