switching to non-kde applications

Marco marco.mandl at gmx.at
Thu Aug 24 11:32:30 BST 2006

Kevin Krammer wrote:

> On Saturday 19 August 2006 11:59, Marco wrote:
>> Marco wrote:
>> > I have problems activating already running non-kde application e.g. by
>> > key shortcuts. For Thunderbird on taskbar icon is blinking. Evolution
>> > even starts a second instance.
>> >
>> > But what I want is to show the main window. How can I achieve this?
>>
>> Is it really so uncommon to run non-kde applications under kde? Or does
>> nobody use key shortcuts for them or any desktop automation?
>>
>> Or was something wrong with my question?
>
> It might not have been clear what the actual problem is or what you do to
> make it happen.

I want to find a way to switch to the windows of a running non-kde
application - ie to display its window. The same thing that happens when I
click its entry in the task bar. But I need an automatizeable method - ie a
command I can put into the key shortcut or call from another program like
KBiff.

> You have a keyboard shortcut associated with a program entry in the K
> menu, right?

yes

> And when you activate it a second time you get a behavior you do not
> expect?

yes, it does not display its window but just make the entry in the taskbar
dark.

/m