Tweaking system-wide file associations

Rich Winkel rich at math.missouri.edu
Tue Aug 22 01:35:04 BST 2006

Hi,

I see various approaches to do this, all different, mentioned in the mailing
list archives but none of them quite seem to work.  My most recent iteration
was to copy the *.desktop files from ~/.kde/applnk to
/usr/local/share/applications (this is on freebsd).  After doing this,
kde no longer knew how to open the "Home" icon on my desktop!

Could someone tell me, what is the correct way?
Shouldn't this be listed in the system administration faq?

Thanks!!!

Rich