Installing individual applications/libs

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Sun Aug 20 17:37:50 BST 2006

> I am running kde 3.5.1 under freebsd. I thought I had installed the entire
> KDE system via ports.
>
> I have discovered there are a few applications missing from my install,
> and I want to fix that.
>
> For instance:
>
> Trying to run "karbon" returns...
>
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libkarboncommon.so.0" not found,
> required by "karbon"

This shouldn't happen. It means your installation of KOffice got broken
somehow (either in the building or sometime later).

> krita returns...
> koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Shared object "libMagick.so.9" not
> found, required by "libkritacommon.so.1"

Ditto, although this could have happened if you removed ImageMagick out from
under KOffice.

> Is there a way to install missing components without re-compiling
> re-installing the entire KDE suite?

Since it looks like just KOffice is broken, you could just reinstall that. I
would, however, strongly recommend you use the packages if they're
available.

If that doesn't solve the problem, send an email to kde at freebsd.org and
include details of how you installed KDE, along with the output
of "ls /var/db/pkg".

Regards,
Philip