print problems

Francesco Pietra frapietra at alice.it
Sun Aug 13 07:24:51 BST 2006

Sent again as member:

On Saturday 12 August 2006 23:26, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > With debian i386 etch I can print with OpenOffice Acrobat and any
> > application within Wine. In contrast, I never succeded printing with KDE
> > applications, although I have several time unistalled and reinstalled
> > everything about printing (also on direction by kde-knowledgable persons
> > what to install)
> >
> > I always get the error message:
> >
> > The MIME type application/postscript is not supported as input of the
> > filter chain (this may happen with non-CUPS spoolers when performing page
> > selection on a non-PostScript file). Do you want KDE to convert the file
> > to a supported format?
>
> The problem probably lies in the configuration of your print spooler.
>
> Which one are you using:
>
> 	CUPS/FooMatic as a driver
> 	CUPS/CUPS commercial driver
> 	APSFilter
> 	lprNG
> 	GNUlpr (obsolete but I use it)
> 	etc.

>From KDE Control Center, Perpherals, Printers, Info:
Local printer
Idle
URI: ipp://localhost.localdomain:631/printers/HP_deskjet_5740
Device: hp:/usb/Deskjet_5700?serial=TH4CR110TB049T
Model: HP Deskjet 5740 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
Printer system currently used: CUPS
Server: localhost: 631

Going to Administrator Mode
Print Test Page: prints perfectly both the color wheel and the radial lines
using CUPS v1.1.x (PostScript Level 3, version 3010 (81501), Product ESP
Ghostscript, serial # 42 (I undestand as if i had a mixture of kde and
gnome).

Hope this is enough to understand my problem. However, I must add that when
KDE is launched from my prompt (I normally use computers without X system, so
that my computers boot to $, from where - when needed - I launch first the X
system (startx) and then KDE (startkde) for which I have a script .Xsession
in my working home. I use jwm as window manager. The errors are:

Bad font path element (#145). Possible causes:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permission
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax.
Start kde
kbuildingdyscoca running
X Error: Bad Window
KWrited-Listening on Device /dev/pts/1