Konqueror and line breaks Bug?

Bob Richards bob at tania.servebbs.org
Tue Aug 1 17:39:21 BST 2006

Hi:

I do a lot of cut/paste of text from web pages. Until recently I have been
using Gnome under Linux. Recently I switched to KDE under FreeBSD.

I am trying to replace FireFox with Konqueror, and have run into what appears
to be a bug.

The best way to explain this is by example.

From the KDE list page, cut/pasted into Kate:
-----

This cut/paste from Konqueror

Using kde
You can subscribe to the list, or change your existing subscription, in the
sections below.
  Subscribing to kde
   Subscribe to kde by....

-----

This cut/paste from Firefox (same results with mozilla, and SeaMonkey)

Using kde

You can subscribe to the list, or change your existing subscription, in the
sections below.
Subscribing to kde

Subscribe to kde by ....

-----

Notice the lack of blank lines in the Konqueror example. Looking at the
original html, there are TWO line breaks for a blank line.  These translate
correctly  into TWO "0A" (Line feed) chars in a Firefox cut/paste, but only
one in a Konqueror cut/paste.

I have the same problem in Akregegator, and in Knode news reader. None of
these apps correctly translate blank lines (double line-feeds). While
Akregegator and Konqueror display the blank lines correctly on the screen,
Knode does not.

Is there a global setting in KDE for this issue? Is it a bug? Is there a
work-around?

TIA
Bob