Korrupted Kmail email backups? And how to restore?

Jes Hall jhall at kde.org
Fri Apr 7 07:24:35 BST 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 15:32, r bartlett wrote:

> Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?  Is it a bug?  Can I
> import these emails using a third party program like mb2md?  I'm just
> totally frustrated and lost...and I wish that the Kmail import tool
> included not only the Email program info, but tips about what the structure
> itself looked like...I gather mbox and maildir and so on are very different
> and old Kmail must have used one kind and new Kmail uses the other.

I believe you can use the kmail importer to import the mail from the
directories you've listed, if you use it the plain text importer and run
through all the files changing their extension to .eml. The importer refuses
to recognise them as files it can import if they have no file extension. A
bit of simple bash should do the trick:

for xx in *; do mv $xx $xx.eml; done

Except that you'll need to experiment with different escaping, as some of the
filenames contain characters that need to be escaped or quoted in the shell.
I had to do this back in KDE 3.3ish, I am not sure if it will let you import
into the newest KMail but it's worth a try :) Just work on a copy of the
mails, just incase.

JH