OpenBSD and sound

grooveman at comcast.net grooveman at comcast.net
Sat Sep 24 22:32:44 BST 2005

Thank you for the response Phillip.

I have visited the site that you said, and tried everything.  No dice.

The peculiar thing is that when I ran artsd -l 0, and used artsplay to play a wav file, I still got nothing (or a high-pitched, barely audible squeal) -- and yet there was absolutely no error output on the terminal I was running artsd -l 0 on).

UnixManager: got notifyIO
socketconnection created, fd = 11
search playobject, extension = wav
creating Arts::audiofilePlayObject to play file /usr/local/share/sounds/KDE_Window_Sticky.wav
  frame size: 2
  channels: 1
  bits: 16
job finished

So arts thinks that it did its job just fine (even though it clearly didn't).  I can bypass arts and play the same file with waveplay without any problems.

Sigh...

Anyone?