Kmail

Sylvain Rouillard RouillardSy at yahoo.fr
Sat Sep 24 19:47:30 BST 2005

Le Samedi 24 Septembre 2005 20:04, Philip Rodrigues a écrit :
> John wrote:
> > Hi
> > I am about upgrade my system to something more recent than suse 9.0,
> > might be
> > 9.3 or 10. I gained the impression from this board some time ago that
> > email storage was changed at some point and that I will no longer be able
> > to just drag files into the relevant folders. If this is so can somebody
> > tell me the kde revision where this occurred and if there is a conversion
> > program available or a fix. I keep a lot of emails for reference.
>
> The default location for storage of email was changed (to
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/somewhere), but as far as I know, no change was
> made to the storage format. My KMail here happily reads my mail from ~/Mail
>
> HTH,
> Philip

Hi,

To back up what John said, I did try to restore my mails from a previous
backup to a new fresh home formated installation. I tested many
possibilities, none worked out, and I'm still looking for a way to read my
old mails. I tried to edit kmailrc to point to my mail backup directory, it
complained about not being able to create a inbox folder because there was
already one. I tried using simlinks within the default structure to point to
my backup directories, same result. I tried moving the mail files (after
having recreated the directories manually), only those in inbox would work,
none of the sub directories ones were detected (I tried placing them in cur
or new to no avail).

I reckon there must be a way, but I'm still looking for it and a helpful hand
would be welcome. The least I can tell is that restoring an old mail backup
with this new mail structure is all but straight forward...

Sylvain