How do I start a kde session on a remote machine?

Ted Bartlett ted.bartlett at tesltd.com
Tue Oct 25 17:06:13 BST 2005

>On Tuesday 25 October 2005 12:55, Ted Bartlett wrote:
>

>>ssh to the server
>>startx -- :1    this spawns an X session using twm as user
>>connect x11vnc to :1
>>
>>The :1 session continues to run when I log out of ssh if it is started
>>as a background process.
>>
>>If I remove startkde from the boot sequence could I start it as a user
>>and achieve the same? kde is so much nicer than twm :)
>>

>Yes, you can also start KDE like this
>startx startkde -- :1
>
>Cheers,
>Kevin

Thanks folks, all working with kde now. The solution was to update my
.xinitrc file under user to startkde (echo exec startkde > ~/.xinitrc).
Now startx -- :1 & spawns a kde session from ssh that remains when ssh
is disconnected. The vnc server can then be attached to X :1

cheers
Ted

Ted Bartlett
Terra Energy Services

Direct line: 00 27 (0)31 7671585
Mobile: 00 27 (0)73 4603100
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail and any attachment is confidential.  If you
are not the intended recipient or you receive this e-mail in error, lease
notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another
person or take or print copies or use it for any other purpose, but delete
it immediately.
VIRUSES:  We offer no guarantees that this e-mail or any attachment will
be received error or virus free and accept no responsibility whatever in
this
regard.

SECURITY:  This transmission is not guaranteed as secure.  We do not
e-mail which results from this transmission.