How do I start a kde session on a remote machine?

Ted Bartlett ted.bartlett at tesltd.com
Tue Oct 25 11:55:43 BST 2005

Many thanks for the comments.

As startkde is in the boot sequence there is an X server running. I
cannot start a remote session from my Suse box either, it simply returns
a grey background screen (x11vnc does the same). Sounds like X
permissions to me as once kde is running as a user (not root like the X
:0) session x11vnc works fine. In truth I probably don't want to open up
the X permissions and have a work around ...

ssh to the server
startx -- :1    this spawns an X session using twm as user
connect x11vnc to :1

The :1 session continues to run when I log out of ssh if it is started
as a background process.

If I remove startkde from the boot sequence could I start it as a user
and achieve the same? kde is so much nicer than twm :)

cheers
Ted

Ted Bartlett
Terra Energy Services

Direct line: 00 27 (0)31 7671585
Mobile: 00 27 (0)73 4603100
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail and any attachment is confidential.  If you
are not the intended recipient or you receive this e-mail in error, lease
notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another
person or take or print copies or use it for any other purpose, but delete
it immediately.
VIRUSES:  We offer no guarantees that this e-mail or any attachment will
be received error or virus free and accept no responsibility whatever in
this
regard.

SECURITY:  This transmission is not guaranteed as secure.  We do not
e-mail which results from this transmission.