How do I start a kde session on a remote machine?

Ted Bartlett ted.bartlett at tesltd.com
Fri Oct 21 18:09:39 BST 2005

My setup is:

1) server running KDE 3.4 on Gentoo

2) Desktop machines running Suse and Windows

The server has been configured with x11vnc which allows a user to access
the currently running desktop over ssh. They can then spawn an
application and disconnect while leaving the app running. The users are
mobile hence the need to disconnect from the server but leave the apps
running - often they will run for days or even weeks before completing.

This works well but requires that the kde session is running i.e. that
the user is logged in on the server and has a local X session. If the
server is taken down for any reason, possibly a power failure, the kde
sessions will not start automatically and x11vnc will then fail to start
- XOpenDisplay failed (:0)

The system is configured to use kdm and to startkde at boot. This spawns
the kdm_greet process, at least I assume that is what happens and that
kde_greet is the 'login screen' that kde presents to the user. Is this
correct? When a users enters their login and password is it passed to
kde_greet?

Is it possible to start a kde session on the server when logged in using
ssh? That is can a session be started that will run locally on the
server allowing the vnc server to be started and the vnc connection
established? Equally importantly will the kde session be detached - will
it continue to run when the ssh connection is terminated?

many thanks for any help
Ted

Ted Bartlett
Terra Energy Services

Direct line: 00 27 (0)31 7671585
Mobile: 00 27 (0)73 4603100
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail and any attachment is confidential.  If you
are not the intended recipient or you receive this e-mail in error, lease
notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another
person or take or print copies or use it for any other purpose, but delete
it immediately.
VIRUSES:  We offer no guarantees that this e-mail or any attachment will
be received error or virus free and accept no responsibility whatever in
this
regard.

SECURITY:  This transmission is not guaranteed as secure.  We do not
e-mail which results from this transmission.