running kde without a desktop

Clumsy Jedi superfraz at clumsyjedi.com
Mon Oct 10 14:43:39 BST 2005

Hi there, I'm new to this list so please tell me if I should be
posting to the nonlinux area or something. I'm pretty sure this is
just a general kde question though...

I recently installed xfree86 and kdebase3 onto my mac ibook via fink.
everything is working ok, and I can start kde from the command line
with the command

# startkde

However I am not keen on having the entire kde desktop initialised as
I only want access to certain components (kwin,kicker + select apps).

I have altered my xinitrc file to include the following lines:

/sw/bin/kicker &
/sw/bin/kwin

which is working quite well, but seems a bit buggy and I'm wondering
if there's a better way to go...

The problems with the above are:
   - Kicker will segfault if it is not 'daemonized' (ie, X & kwin &
kicker fails)
   - Kicker seems to spawn 2 processes, then after a few seconds 1
dies off and the panel appears
   - When I add application shortcuts to the menu using the menu
editor they do not appear. This problem also occurs when running
'startkde'.
   - I cannot terminate X (or kwin or kicker) by clicking on the 'log
out' button in the menu.

I'm not really asking for help on debugging the segfaults or anything
like that, really all I want is a standard kde session (like the one
you get frrom startkde) without a desktop background. the config
above is my best effort to create such a session, is there a better
approach?

any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

fraz