Desktop Decision

Rick Montgomery rick at royalpurple.com
Sun Nov 13 18:18:49 GMT 2005

I have been adamantly pushing Novell/SuSe adoption at our small company
(testing SLES 9 / NLD 9) as well as 9-9.3 and now 10. 10 is a big hit;
but the annoucement to go with Gnome as the supported interface will
almost completely kill my project. Not one of the users trying it liked
it (we set up testing for both desktops). This is the reason Red Hat was
not considered and SuSe was chosen. Now we like Evolution even though
it's missing some basic functionality (leave messages on server until
deleted from inbox etc..) that works great in TBird.

I have been involved in beta testing Xandros Server, and I tested their
Business desktop 3 prior to release. They were comperable to SuSe except
on their Windows Connectivity, which is the best and easiest I have ever
used in our AD environments. That being said we still stayed the SuSe
course untill the Gnome annoucement.......

The other IT directors admins from various companies I meet with (we are
all working on decreasing / replacing windows as a group, share the
testing load so to speak) have the same feelings. We are all in
manufacturing non computer, communications or software related
industries ....

Please rest assured there is no zealotry involved, just pure simple
business economics; less problems better functionality (security with
KIOSK) with KDE than Gnome which means better utilization of limited IT
resources and training budgets.

I understand your decision was one of economics as well since you own
Ximian, unfortunately your marketing department led you astray on this
decision, Gnome has to many headaches and less functional offerings than
KDE IMHO (its tsclient frontend for rdesktop is pretty spiffy though);
well these are just our opinions. Oh and I purchase commercial Linux
software offerings as well as purchasing items where the proceeds got to
open source developers; I believe you get what you pay for (except with
90% of windows offerings)

Rick