Fwd: Re: Kontact Mail "freezes" floppy

Richard Dawson rcdawson at att.net
Fri Nov 11 05:40:28 GMT 2005

I tried 'mount -a' as root.  The reports indicated that it was attempting to
mount various other hosts on the network, but nothing abount mounting the
floppy.  I don't believe that I have kwikdisk on my machine.

Besides, this doesn't seem to be matter of the OS thinking that the floppy is
busy.  I can open files on the floppy from other GUI programs or from a
terminal.  It seems to be only Kmail that has a problem with the drive.

again, If, in the attach file dialoge box, I click on the floppy icon i get:

Could not access drive mnt:.
The drive is still busy.
Wait until it is inactive and then try again.

Today I learned, however, that if I click on the devices icon I get a list of
devices, including the CDROM, the floppy, and remove shares.  If I click on
the floppy in that list, I can get to it.

Something seems to be wrong with the floppy icon in the kmail dialogue box.
Any idea how I get to its properties to see what might be the issue?

I don't know if you use the command line, but try the `mount -a` command.
This will attempt to mount all available drives and partitions, and return
the results to your terminal.

If your not a command line user try using kwikdisk or some such GUI utilitiy

On 11/9/05, Richard Dawson <rcdawson at att.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure what led up to this, but suddenly, when I attempt to attach a
> file from a floppy I get the message, "Could not access drive mnt: The
> drive
> is still busy. Wait until it is inactive and then try again."
>
> I can access the drive with other programs, such as konqueror or Kwrite.
>
> Note the drive activity light is not on during this time.
>
> I closed all other applications except Kmail. closed it and restarted.
> Still
> unable to access the drive.
>
> Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Got Gentoo?

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
-- Mark Twain