two questions, regarding composite/translucency and ksvg2

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Sun May 15 13:17:32 BST 2005

I'll get right to the point... when I try to activate translucency in
kcontrol, nothing happens (it's been like this for a while, but I've
only just now gotten around to asking about it...). I'm compiling KDE
from SVN, with X.org 6.8 (COMPOSITE itself works, as xcompmgr does). I
didn't notice any configure flags or anything to enable/disable this,
so don't know what could be wrong with it... (running kcontrol or
kcmshell from a console doesn't show any error messages). Anyone have
any ideas?

For the other question, dunno whether this should go to kde or
kde-devel as I only intend to use and not develop it (but on the other
hand the software is still in an experimental stage), but how do I get
ksvg2 to work? It compiles fine, but when I try to use it, it says
this:

$ svgdisplay /misc/barfingghost.svg
Starting to parse URL: file:///misc/barfingghost.svg
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-illissius/ksycoca
KSVG Test: ERROR: [KRenderingDeviceFactory] Device "agg" does not
exist or can't be loaded!
KSVG Test: FATAL: Couldn't load rendering device!
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = svgdisplay path = <unknown> pid = 8379

It does the same thing even if I manually specify --device agg or
cairo (except in the latter case it's the cairo device it can't find,
of course). I do have both agg and cairo installed, and configured to
enable both.