why does KDE use a lot of Memory??

Jes Hall jes.hall at kdemail.net
Tue May 3 13:57:29 BST 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005, YuChan Park wrote:

> Hello Kders.. :)
>
> My system is running on KDE 3.4.0 and Fedora 3.
>
> KDE isn't slow but obtain a lot of system memory.
>
> Need KDE a huge memory for running?

The way Linux manages memory is a little different to other operating
sytems, especially Windows. These links have a lot of information about
it:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=175419
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/shared_memory.html

Memory usage reported in top can be very misleading. As long as you're not
swapping out excessively, having a lot of memory in use is not a bad
thing, especially if everything is still responsive and doen't seem slow

=)