3 Screen Xinerama Issues

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at CATO.GD-AIS.COM
Wed Mar 23 00:53:16 GMT 2005

Jonathan:

This is similar to a problem that I've noted with KDE 3.3.0, SuSE 9.2, and
nVidia drivers.  The strange behaviour began after applying the update for
the Xorg X11 Server 6.8.1-15.6.  My system with Matrox graphic adapters
doesn't have any problems.

I haven't had any responses to my last query.  Hopefully, you will fare
better.

Merton Campbell Crockett

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Jonathan Duncan wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have three monitors.  One 21inch in the middle and two 17inch, one on each
> side of the 21inch.  The 21 and one of the 17's is running off of an Nvidia
> Quadro FX540 dual-head, while the other 17 is running off of a Matrox
> Mystique.  I am running KDE 3.3.2 on Gentoo with a Linux kernel of 2.6.10.
> This is a partially new setup for me.
>
> Previously I was running SuSE 9.2 with KDE 3.2 and a Matrox Millenium
> dual-head instead of the Nvidia.  With the previou setup I was not having the
> issues I will now relate.  For reference you may view the following
> screenshot:
>
> http://jkdwebmagic.com/temp/mydesktop.gif
>
> (Note: The three screens are delineated by the horizontal green lines.)
>
> 1) Notice that the panel (at the top of the screen) is partially on the left
> screen and mostly on the middle screen.  How can I get that to center on the
> middle screen?
>

> 2) As can be seen in the following image, when I launch apps that do not
> remember their previous position they locate themselves across two or more of
> the screens instead of centering on one of them, and usually toward the
> bottom.
>
> http://jkdwebmagic.com/temp/mydesktop_new_window.gif
>

> 3) As seen in the following image, when I maximize an application, it
> maximizes across all three screens.
>
> http://jkdwebmagic.com/temp/mydesktop_maximize.gif
>

> 4) As can be seen in the first and second images, some new apps when launched
> and do not remember their previous position, lodge themselves at the bottom of
> the screens.  This is not so much of a problem except when the apps are small
> and they get lost in the black area on the screens with the smaller
> resolutions.  If you notice in the first screenshot there is a Konqueror
> window peeking out of the black area under the right screen.  That is where is
> launches before I move it.
>

> As I said, in my previous setup of KDE none of these things were a problem.
> The applications all seemed to know where the edges of the screens were and
> did not launch in the black areas, did not cross screens on launch, and the
> panel was centered on the middle screen.
>

> How much of these issues are KDE related and how many are X.org related? I
> would think since the Xinerama is setup and working that all the issues are
> with KDE.  Anyone have any helpful tips for me?
>

> Thank you,
> --
> Jonathan Duncan
> Administrator
> 801.376.7796
> JKD Web Magic
> http://www.jkdwebmagic.com/
> Web Site Hosting and Design

BEGIN:				vcard
VERSION:			3.0
FN:				Merton Campbell Crockett
ORG:				General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems;
				Intelligence and Exploitation Systems
N:				Crockett;Merton;Campbell
EMAIL;TYPE=internet:		mcc at CATO.GD-AIS.COM
TEL;TYPE=work,voice,msg,pref:	+1(805)497-5045
TEL;TYPE=work,fax:		+1(805)497-5050
TEL;TYPE=cell,voice,msg:	+1(805)377-6762
END:				vcard