kpdf has no fonts

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Mar 21 04:32:50 GMT 2005

Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> Hi JRT,
>
> thanks for your continued efforts in font-setup-things!
>

>>This works for me because I have installed the fonts that come with
>>Acrobat Reader 3.x for Windows.
>>
>>First note that Adobe Acrobat Reader comes with Time so it works.
>>
>>So, I am guessing, or you might want to install those fonts:
>>
>>ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/3.x/ar302.exe
>>
>>and the AFMs:
>>
>>ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/win/all/afmfiles/900-960/950/
>

> Ok, installed them, but this is not a real solution, cause these old files
> supports no Euro symbol - and you need this these days :-)

Yes, and that is another Qt issue.  If the font you are using doesn't
have a Euro symbol, it should look for the best match to substitute, but
it doesn't. :-(

>>But, back to the problem.  I don't know if KPDF gets its fonts with Qt,
>>but I am going to assume that it does since I doubt that you would be
>>having the problem otherwise, but it is possible that it is getting the
>>fonts with X since it is based on XPDF.
>

> Reading a little bit in the poppler-ML I *think*  KPDF text renderer is
> completely based on xpdf. I see my Times font in KDEs fontmanager and can use
> in other programs.
>

>>First, question: does it display correctly in GSView (or some other
>>program that uses GhostScript)?
>

> Yes, kghostview renders fine.
>

>>If not, you don't have the GhostScript fonts installed.  If so, FontConfig
>
> is not substituting for Times.
>
> I think so to. OTOH there is
> http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/problems.html#t1lib-base14
> I dont know anything about t1lib and/or KDE integration.
>

>>This
>>is a general issue with FontConfig and the GhostScript fonts.
>>GhostScript makes the substitutions as listed in Fontmap.GS:
>>
>>/Times-Roman			/NimbusRomNo9L-Regu	;
>>/Times-Italic			/NimbusRomNo9L-ReguItal	;
>>/Times-Bold			/NimbusRomNo9L-Medi	;
>>/Times-BoldItalic		/NimbusRomNo9L-MediItal	;
>>
>>Second question, do you have XPDF installed? and does it work with that
>>file.  If not, you probably have an X issue.
>

> I do not have XPDF installed.
>

>>You can obtain a package that contains the: "fonts.dir" & "fonts.scale"
>>files so that X will make the same substitutions:
>>
>>ftp://ftp.cs.umn.edu/pub/gimp/fonts/urw-fonts.tar.gz
>>
>>This will fix it if it is an X problem.  Unpack in either:
>>/usr/share/fonts or /usr/X11R6/fonts and add the directory: /<path>/URW/
>>to your X configuration file.
>

> I had this setup before
>

>>But, AFAIK, there is no prepackaged solution to the issue with
>>FontConfig.  Installing the URW package won't fix the problem if it is a
>>FontConfig/Qt issue since FontConfig does not use the: fonts.dir" &
>>"fonts.scale" files.
>

> Is it possible to use qtconfig or is this substitute by KDEs fontconfig
> manager?

That might work.  I suggest that you try it.  If you have Arial
installed, I suggest that you tell it to substitute that.

>>IMHO, KDE needs to address this since it is normal for PDFs to require
>>the 14 standard PostScript fonts.
>

> Think so too, especially cause Helvetica and Times are not in the public
> domain like Arial and NewTimes-Roman.

And this is an odd situation.  The new Acrobat Reader comes with Arial
and Times New Roman, but since they have the same metrics as Helvetica
and Times, many PDF files ask for Helvetica and Times.

Perhaps this is a bug.  KPDF should have the same behavior as Acrobat
Reader.  If it doesn't find Helvetica it should substitute Arial or the
URW clone; if it doesn't find Courier New it should substitute Courier
or the URW clone; if it doesn't find Times it should substitute Times
New Roman or the URW clone; and if it doesn't find the dingbat or symbol
fonts, it should use the URW clones.

--
JRT