kpdf has no fonts

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Sun Mar 20 22:43:07 GMT 2005

Hi JRT,

thanks for your continued efforts in font-setup-things!

> This works for me because I have installed the fonts that come with
> Acrobat Reader 3.x for Windows.
>
> First note that Adobe Acrobat Reader comes with Time so it works.
>
> So, I am guessing, or you might want to install those fonts:
>
> ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/3.x/ar302.exe
>
> and the AFMs:
>
> ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/win/all/afmfiles/900-960/950/

Ok, installed them, but this is not a real solution, cause these old files
supports no Euro symbol - and you need this these days :-)

> But, back to the problem.  I don't know if KPDF gets its fonts with Qt,
> but I am going to assume that it does since I doubt that you would be
> having the problem otherwise, but it is possible that it is getting the
> fonts with X since it is based on XPDF.

Reading a little bit in the poppler-ML I *think*  KPDF text renderer is
completely based on xpdf. I see my Times font in KDEs fontmanager and can use
in other programs.

> First, question: does it display correctly in GSView (or some other
> program that uses GhostScript)?

Yes, kghostview renders fine.

> If not, you don't have the GhostScript fonts installed.  If so, FontConfig
is not substituting for Times.

I think so to. OTOH there is
http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/problems.html#t1lib-base14
I dont know anything about t1lib and/or KDE integration.

> This
> is a general issue with FontConfig and the GhostScript fonts.
> GhostScript makes the substitutions as listed in Fontmap.GS:
>
> /Times-Roman			/NimbusRomNo9L-Regu	;
> /Times-Italic			/NimbusRomNo9L-ReguItal	;
> /Times-Bold			/NimbusRomNo9L-Medi	;
> /Times-BoldItalic		/NimbusRomNo9L-MediItal	;
>
> Second question, do you have XPDF installed? and does it work with that
> file.  If not, you probably have an X issue.

I do not have XPDF installed.

> You can obtain a package that contains the: "fonts.dir" & "fonts.scale"
> files so that X will make the same substitutions:
>
> ftp://ftp.cs.umn.edu/pub/gimp/fonts/urw-fonts.tar.gz
>
> This will fix it if it is an X problem.  Unpack in either:
> /usr/share/fonts or /usr/X11R6/fonts and add the directory: /<path>/URW/
> to your X configuration file.

I had this setup before

> But, AFAIK, there is no prepackaged solution to the issue with
> FontConfig.  Installing the URW package won't fix the problem if it is a
> FontConfig/Qt issue since FontConfig does not use the: fonts.dir" &
> "fonts.scale" files.

Is it possible to use qtconfig or is this substitute by KDEs fontconfig
manager?

> IMHO, KDE needs to address this since it is normal for PDFs to require
> the 14 standard PostScript fonts.

Think so too, especially cause Helvetica and Times are not in the public
domain like Arial and NewTimes-Roman.

To sum up: The problem still remains :-/

Bye

  Thorsten