Openoffice 2.0 and kprinter

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jun 29 21:56:15 BST 2005

itlistuser at rapideye.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> don't know whether its OO fault, kprinter or whether it is just me (:
>
> so I'm asking my question here:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get OpenOffice 2 to use kprinter and to show me the kprinter
> dialog when printing.
>
> my first try was to add a pdf creator and use the command kprinter --stdin,
> but OpenOffice always ignored that i wanted this printer as a default.
>
> second i tried to manually edit the psprint.conf file, also without any luck.
>
> third i added the line
> export SAL_DISABLE_CUPS=1
> to my .profile file and OO ignores the cups, and i can add a ordinary printer,
> exactly kprinter. there is only one problem: the file is printed out correctly
> using the kprinter dialog but after the kprinter dialog disappears i recieve a
> message from openoffice stating: "error while printing"
> and nothing more. anybody a hint what i can do?
>

> why do i want to do this? all other applications use kprinter for printing,
> $AVERAGEUSER is highly disturbed when there no kprinter dialog shows up when
> printing from openoffice. especially when in cups something like n-up page
> printing or duplex or whatever was saved prior from printing from another
> application, OO will pick these defaults regardless whether the user wants
> that or not.

Since it is likely that you have screwed up your OO configuration files,
you need to undo what you have done.  If you edited:

	$HOME/.openoffice.org1.9.<version>/user/psprint/psprint.conf

then you can just remove the directory:

	$HOME/.openoffice.org1.9.<version>

open OO, and go through the wizard again.

You also need to undo whatever else you have done.

Then, execute:

	/opt/openoffice.org1.9.<version>/program/spadmin

This will change the global setting if you run it as root or the user's
setting if you run it as that user.

A dialog will open.  Select "Generic Printer" and click "Properties".

Under the: "Command" tab in the dialog that pops up, enter the command:
"kprinter".  Click "OK".

Click: "Rename" and enter the name: "KPrinter" in the dialog that pops
up.; click "Close".

--
JRT