DVD Copy

Peter B Van Campen peterb at vancampen.org
Tue Jun 21 16:09:18 BST 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 09:43, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 June 2005 08:02, Jakub Nytko wrote:
> >On 6/21/05, 龍神 <ryujin_ssdt at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
> >> Is possible to copy a 8GB data DVD to a 4GB DVD disk using k3b??
> >> Sorry for the newbie question. I haven't seen 8GB blank DVDs so I
> >> don't know how to copy it.
>
> If the 8GB disk is more than half full, no, unless you also have a
> dual layer capable burner AND the dual layer disks.

Hi,

Dual Layer media is still priced at about $8.00 a disk here in the Chicago
area, USA.

In the M$ XP world there at least two apps that claim to compress a Dual Layer
movie down to a size that fits on a single layer disk.

DVD Shrink (Freeware)

and

Clone DVD (Propriatary)

Both allow the creation of "Archival Back-up Copies" and act 'dumb' is a way
that makes it very tiresome for a user to create multiple copies of the same
DVD. ie. for each copy one must again read in the original; so it may take
1/4 to 1/2 hour per copy, not very nice to mass duplicators.

I have seen many Linux based apps and scripts that have the same goals: the
ability to create legal "Fair Use" archival copies for legitimate owners of
original material. But to date I have yet to see anything in the Linux world
that equals the functionality of the XP apps.