"locking down" kdm

Mr Wiggles astalavista.box.sk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 18:54:54 BST 2005

I was able to find some info on the KDE Wiki Tips & Tricks about this
http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=Tips+and+Tricks

they were quoting something from this list actually I think....

Your problem is not the file kdmrc. This file is no longer used to show
the selection of available WMs. kde3.2 uses .desktop files in
$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions to determine wether a WM is available
or not. In these files there is a entry called TryExec. On startup kdm
checks whether the command in TryExec can be executed. If yes, the WM
is displayed in the entry, if not ... . If you chose one of these
entries from kdm the Exec part of the .desktop file is passed to the
xsession script (defined in kdmrc).

</quote>

So if you have p.e. xfce installed correctly and KDM doesn't show the
entry, you can edit the existing xfce.desktop file and change the
TryExec entry to contain the full path to your executable.

(If your Xsession script is correct, this should work straight, but if
you use the KDM-scripts, you might as well have to change the Exec
entry to contain the full path as well.)

Notabene: This should only be necessary if your needed session is not
in your $PATH (p.e. if you want to be able to choose both KDE-3.1 AND
KDE-3.2) A hint on howto accomplish that will follow as well ;)

I went in again (had previously tried to accomplish this by commenting
out the lines in question) and this time moved some of the .desktop
files into the parent dir and altered the TryExec command in others.
sure enough it worked and it removed those from the Session Type menu.

Unfortunately it there were no .desktop files for Custom Default or
Failsafe.....while it would be nice to remove them all except for KDE,
Default should be fine since the default is KDE but both custom and
failsafe allow users to circumvent kde-kiosk....any thoughts on where
to go to put an end to the menu as a whole or at leas the failsafe and
custom session types?

thanks again