Backing up email

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sun Jul 31 09:36:12 BST 2005

On Saturday, 30 July 2005 23:27, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> Nevermind. I tired copying the files over a second time and now it seems to
> work. Don't know what went wrong in the first attempt...
>
> On Sunday 31 July 2005 01:20, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> > What is the correct prosedure to back up email in Kmail/Kontact? The
> > reason I'm asking is that I made a backup of my home-folder, and with it,
> > my email. The reason I did that was that I moved to a new distro, and I
> > wanted to move my email/settings with me. Well, everything seemed to go
> > smoothly, and it SEEMED that my old email was in Kmail once I restored my
> > files. But when I try to open a mail I have already read (in the previous
> > distro), the subject turns from whatever the subject was to "No Subject",
> > and the message is blank. But if I click on a message I have not read
> > before, it displays like it should.
> >
> > Did I do something incredibly stupid, or did something go wrong when I
> > backed up my files? Is there any way to fix this situation? I wouldn't
> > want to lose my email.

It seems to be an Index problem (occurred sometimes with older kmail
versions). In case you should again habe "no subject" mails, or mails without
a date, go to you  ~/Mail folder and delete the *.index files. Kmail should
rebuild them the next time and everything should run smooth

note: make a copy of the folder before... one never knows when Muphy strikes!

Thierry

Frank Zappa