Cannot update/modify Kmenu

Jim MacLeod j75trym at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 21:05:41 BST 2005

s s wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm having some trouble with KDE 3.4.1: I cannot
> update or modify my KMenu. When I add new items, they
> never appear in the KMenu. I'm not sure why. I opened
> up ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu and the
> new items look like they've been added correctly, but
> I just can't get them to show up in the KMenu. I'd
> edit the .menu file myself, but I'm not sure how it
> all works and I don't want to make things any more worse.

You could delete apps-kmenuedit.menu which will force it to rebuild.
It only holds changes you've made to the specific user so wont mess things
up.
This is my firefox.desktop file - I'm using Kubuntu

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox Web Browser
Name[fr]=Navigateur Web Firefox
GenericName=Web Browser
GenericName[fr]=Navigateur Web
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
Comment[fr]=Navigue sur Internet
Exec=firefox %u
Terminal=false
MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=mozilla-firefox.png
Categories=Application;Network

### mimetype is all one line, broke it here only for neatness - Jim

MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;
application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;
x-directory/webdav;x-directory/webdav-prefer-directory;
image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png

StartupWMClass=Firefox-bin

Jim