tld guessing in konqueror?

David P James davidpjames at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:53:22 BST 2005

On Thu 28 July 2005 12:40, LeVA wrote:
> 2005. jĂșlius 28. 18:33,
> David P James <davidpjames at gmail.com>
>
> -> kde at mail.kde.org,:
> > On Thu 28 July 2005 07:50, LeVA wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Is there a feature in konqeror like in mozilla, that if you type
> > > in an URL like google, then it guesses (actually probes) the tlds
> > > for that domain, so the browser will end up loading the
> > > google.com url?
> >
> > Under Settings | Configure Konqueror then Web Shortcuts you can
> > select "Google I'm feeling lucky" from the 'Default search engine'
> > dropdown list. Unfortunately that also has the effect of overriding
> > the regular Google search in the search bar. You can also use the
> > "Google I'm feeling lucky" shortcut in the url bar (or the search
> > bar), which is 'ggl:<search string>' so typing
>
> No, I don't want to use web shortcuts, I want konqueror to act like
> mozilla, and not just for google, but for each and every word I type
> in the location bar. This tld probing feature is not like the web
> shortcut feature in konqueror.

I see... but you'll get the same thing if you change the default search
engine. Try it - just type 'kde' into the url bar after making the
change. Mozilla Firefox is doing the same thing - it's using the
"Google I'm feeling lucky" search to guess at which site to load.
Firefox does not have an internal probing feature - it simply hands off
to Google.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario