Cannot update/modify Kmenu

s s greatredshark at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 27 04:01:41 BST 2005

> The Menu file is constructed from *.desktop files.
> Look for the relevant
> one, (eg kmail.desktop) and open it in an editor as
> root. If there is a
> line like NoShow=true either delete it or change to
> false. Obviously if you
> update the particular prg at any time this change
> will be overwritten.
>
> Actually you can edit this *.desktop file to get
> prgs to appear under other
> categories in the menu. All the menu editor does is
> 'hide' the item in one
> cat and force it to 'show' in another.
> HTH
> Jim

Ok here's an example: I added Firefox, but it didn't
show up in the menu.
So I located the firefox.desktop file, and here's what
it contains:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=web browser
Exec=firefox
GenericName=
Icon=firefox
Name=firefox
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=0
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

There's no NoShow entry... so what gives? how do I get
firefox to appear in the menu?