media:/ and its icons

Lithion l1th10n at tpg.com.au
Mon Jul 25 01:42:59 BST 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 07:57 am, ianseeks wrote:
>  On Sunday 24 Jul 2005 11:43, Lithion wrote:
> > Firstly, I have a digital camera which acts as a USB storage
> > device, however the digital camera would look like a Hard Disk, but
> > my MP3 player and memory stick would be displayed with a cool
> > looking USB memory stick icon. What settings be it in kde, ivman,
> > hotplug or whatever relate to the classification of the USB
> > devices? Can I set up KDE to put my own icons for the devices like
> > a mini picture of the USB device?
>
> You should be able to do that by right clicking on the already
> created desktop icon, selecting Properties and then selecting the
> icon you want. All device icons appear to be here if you want to add
> yours : /opt/kde3/share/icons/default.kde/48x48/devices
> (change the 48x48 to suit the size you want)

The icon shown in the properties dialog is different to the icon shown
in the media:/ folder or the desktop. The properties dialog will show a
folder icon when the icon on the desktop was a usb key. I tried
changing the icon through the properties dialog but the icon was still
the same on the desktop. Showing the properties dialog again after the
change showed the original folder icon.

I think the key is finding out how the USB device classifications work
and where the media kioslave sets icon X for device type X, so my
question still stands.

It would be nice if KDE could have per device icon icon mappings which
would be set through the properties dialog so I could for example have
a pioneer icon for my pioneer cdrom or whatever.